I’m starting a unit with the two sixth grade classes on blogging. The students are signing up for their own accounts on Edublogs; they will start by commenting on their teacher’s blog and then move on to posting on her blog as guest writers. Before that begins, we will be talking about:
- What is a blog?
- Find examples of a good classroom blog
- What is a blog used for?
- How is a blog different from other websites? (Give examples.)
- What style is a blog written in? (This would be a good place for an exercise on writing for the web, which I am working on getting together.)
- Online safety and etiquette
- Personal information vs. opinions and ideas
- Respectful language
- Digital footprint
- How to use Edublogs
- Step-by-step tutorial
- Specifics of assignment; schedule
- Rubric (post on blog)
I’m hoping to find exercises for the online safety lesson, and I need to figure out the best way to do the step-by-step Edublogs tutorial. Something interactive would be awesome, but I need to find the right medium.
Have you taught this age group about blogs before? If so, please share!